AC Method of Factoring
What is the AC method?
The AC method of factoring is used to factor polynomials of the form Ax² + Bx + C.
A, B, and C represent constants and x is the variable.
Steps to use the AC Method
- Determine AC by multiplying the A term and C term.
- Find two numbers that add to the B term and multiply to AC. (Call the smaller number M and the larger number N)
- Rewrite the original equation as Ax² + Mx + Nx + C.
- Factor the new equation by grouping.
- Perform final factoring by applying the distributive property.
Let's factor the following quadratic polynomial using the AC method.
3x² + 4x - 4